Tuesday 15 January 2019

Island Book I by Judges Guild Acquirement

I spotted this for sale on eBay and managed to pick it up pretty cheaply. It's in decent nick for a book almost 40 years old! No writing in it that I can detect.

I was thinking of using it as a quick island generator within the Wilderlands

I already have two of the Judges aids, Temple Book 1 & Village Book 2, both bought back in the 1980s. The Temple book I don't think I've ever used but the village book I have a few times and have colour coded some of the buildings in the villages. BTW, I've no idea why I have Village Book 2 & not Village Book 1. I can only assume book 2 was the only one available when I visited my local games shop back  in the day ..

I guess there are probably better resources available nowadays but I like the idea of using the JG books for a Wilderlands campaign wherever possible.

The books itself is softback & follows a fairly typical JG structure of three main sections:

  1. A section of pages with a list of pages down the left hand side & headings like Hex No, Name, Population, Type etc across the top with blank areas for the judge to fill in once they have decided how they have allocated each islands. 
  2. A section of random generation tables that allow the judge to generate islands details by rolling dice and looking up the result on the tables. You can generate anything from weather to "Mysterious finds"
  3. The final section is a map of each island in a large hex subdivided into smaller hexes. Various features are mapped such as the coastline, trees, buildings, contour indicators etc.


It seems like a useful addition to my collection that could be used to spice up any islands encountered ..

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I was going to post about my hopes for roleplaying in 2021 a few months ago but I kept putting the post off. The reason? I wasn't quite...